Diabetes and your eyes: Tips for eye care2
Diabetes can affect your eyes and vision. Here are some tips to help prevent diabetic eye disease and preserve your vision:
- Check and manage your blood glucose levels with the help of your healthcare professionals.
- Work with your doctor to get your blood pressure under control.
- Stop smoking if you do.
- Get eye tests on a regular basis, at least once a year, even if your vision seems okay.
- See an eye care specialist if you have:
- blurred or double vision
- trouble reading signs or books
- pain or pressure in one or both of eyes
- eye redness that doesn’t go away
- trouble seeing things on the sides that you could see prior (loss of peripheral vision)
- any other changes in vision.
2 American Diabetes Association. (ADA) – Eye Care. Accessed online June 24, 2018 @ http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/complications/eye-complications/eye-care.html