How can you manage your diabetes?2
The main goals of diabetes management are to:
- carefully control blood glucose, while decreasing the risks of low and high blood glucose side effects, and
- help slow or possibly prevent diabetes-related health problems.
Here are five tips to help manage your diabetes:
- Test your blood glucose as recommended by your health care professional.
- Take your medicine as prescribed by the doctor-- be it tablets (pills) or injectable medicines like insulin.
- Make healthy food choices.
- Include regular physical activity in your management plan with the guidance of your healthcare professionals.
- Learn all you can do about your diabetes.
2 IDF Diabetes Atlas (8th Ed.) (2017). International Diabetes Federation: Brussels, Belgium. Online version accessed May. 5, 2018